Sunday, October 12, 2014

Using Cambridge For Emergency Food Storage

Originally Posted by Pam Turner on 11/06/12:
I grew up in the Mormon faith. There is a big emphasis in that church on emergency preparedness. They are counseled to have a minimum of a 72 hour kit to grab and go if you have to evacuate, all the way up to a years supply of food storage and necessities. In the case of a catastrophic event or even just unemployment you would be able to survive and provide for your family. It was always out of my financial reach to do that. Being a single mom I was struggling just to feed my family TODAY! lol.

Dehydrated food storage was expensive, it took up a LOT of room to store and you had to rotate it so things didn't spoil. Rotating it was tough in my family because most of it doesn't taste good and nobody wanted to supplement our regular diets with it. I have known many Mormons over the years that invested huge amounts of money in food storage, only to have to dispose of it years later when it went bad.

When I found Cambridge again the thought occurred to me that this would be the perfect food storage solution! It's affordable, complete nutrition and it takes little room for a good supply. All you would need would be an additional calorie/energy source like peanut butter (for those that have no weight to lose or children) and some water and you would be well fed. After 9/11 people were feeling very vulnerable and searching for some way to survive should something else happen. I had already bought my own supply of Cambridge to have in storage for me and my 3 kids. I had several jars of peanut butter and some bottled water. Once I put the idea out there for others it took off like a wild fire. Everyone was so thrilled to find something compact and affordable and healthy to store, not to mention good tasting.

Now I know that a lot of the people who were hit with hurricane Sandy had to evacuate and a great many people lost everything they owned, but for a lot of them that were not evacuated the things they are dealing with are no food, no electricity, no transportation and empty stores. Living now in a state that is known for Hurricanes I have that possibility in my future as well. I have my supply of Cambridge. Before the next hurricane season starts here in June I will also have water and some sort of calorie source all put away in water proof containers. I will be able to keep it up in the garage and it will be good for 5 years. It gives me a peace of mind to know that if we are in a situation where we need it, it will be there for us. Have food, money, water, 1st aide supplies and anything else that you think you would need to get by. If your space is limited then Cambridge is perfect. One can would feed one person for a whole week. I don't know anything else that could do that. If you would like more info please send me an email and I would be happy to answer any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment