Sunday, October 12, 2014

Empty Nest, Full Heart

Originally Posted by Pam Turner on 10/28/11:

I have been sole sourcing on Cambridge the past 8 days. I broke it last night. It was for a good cause though. My daughter Kim graduated College and I took us all out to dinner to celebrate. She and my 19 year old son will be leaving me in about 30 days to move to Oregon. I will finally be an empty nester for the first time in 32 years. Big chances happening in my house. My kids will be gone and I will be married after being single basically my whole life except for 2 brief marriages, the last one 20 years ago. Lots to get used to!

I started this journey 10 years ago. I made the decision to change the course that my life had been on. It was a course of obesity, very bad health issues and a lot of pain and poverty. I knew there was going to be a time when I was no longer a full time mom. I wondered what my future could possibly hold for me in the condition I was in, or if I would even live long enough to have a future. Before I lost my weight my thoughts were that I only had to live long enough to get my kids raised and on their own and then I could just "stop". I figured that was all I had in me.

The decision to change my ways began back when my daughter was turning 18. She was very overweight as I was also and the realization that I was greatly responsible for her condition crashed down on me. When she told me she was moving out of state I knew that her weight would hold her back from a full life. I had to do something to save us both. I found Cambridge again and we began the diet together.

My ultimate personal goal was to finally find that one person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I knew that in the condition I was in I could not expect to attract or interest the kind of man I hoped to find. I was too sick and depressed and disabled. I needed to turn my financial situation around and I needed to get my life under control. I needed to become the kind of person I wanted to be with.

It was a lot of hard work, a lot of personal reflection, a lot of risk taking and a lot of tears, but I have met my goal. I lost the weight, regained my health, brought my family out of poverty and gave them a good life. Best of all, I found my man!

I am amazed sometimes on how things turned out. Had I remained as I was I would likely be in a wheelchair, on disability, and living a very depressing life in a subsidized apartment...if I was still alive that is. My children would have suffered and love would have never found me. In my heart I desperately wanted more then that for me and my kids. Am I grateful? You bet! Not a day goes by that I don't think about it. I can honestly say that were it not for Cambridge, none of these wonderful things would have happened. Each day I wake up and the first thing I do is think about how great I feel...how free I feel. Just turning over in bed used to cause me extreme pain. I literally had to grab hold of my stomach and manually move it as I tried to roll without injuring myself. It was quite a process. Now I jump out ready to take on the day. I look in the mirror just to make sure it wasn't all a dream and I smile. I feel feminine, I feel strong, I feel alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment