Sunday, October 12, 2014

Back in the saddle

Originally Posted by Pam Turner on 02/01/11:


I just wanted to make it public that I intend to sole source on Cambridge for the next week or two. I have been dogged by diabetes for most of my adult life and even losing 160 pounds did not correct it for me as it does for the majority of the diabetics who lose weight. There was diabetes on both sides of my family and for about half of them it was not weight related so the gene is there. However out of my 3 other siblings I am the only one that has it. I believe it has a lot to do with the many years I was on thiazide diuretics for high blood pressure. They can push you in to diabetes if the tendency is there.

So in another attempt to get things as controlled as possible without the use of medications that I refuse to take again due to the many side effects and the fact that they don't work anyway, I will be SSing and increasing my activity level to see if I can drive it back down to a more normal range. This is something I can't slack off on evidently. When I am being diligent in my exercise and diet I can maintain in a high/normal range, but as soon as I start playing hooky from the gym and stray from healthy eating I get slammed. Grain based foods are the enemy and I avoided them for several years. Grains drive up insulin which is the real culprit of type 2 diabetes, not just high blood sugars. Lately I have been eating them and now I'm paying for it.

A couple of years ago I was referred to an internist to prepare for my knee replacement surgery. She was a very unpleasant woman who didn't have any respect for my ideas or opinions regarding my diabetes. She insisted I start on Avandia, one of the new diabetes medications on the market. I told her that I do not take any new medications until they have been in use for enough years to have proven themselves safe. She got extremely irritable with me, called me a non-compliant patient, and said if I did not follow her instructions she would not see me again. I said that suited me just fine. Fast forward a year and what do we hear on the news? People on Avandia are warned that On November 14, 2007 the FDA issued a new updated Black Box Warning about the potential increase in heart problems.  A Black Box warning is the strongest warning that the FDA requires, and is used when medical studies suggest a significant risk of serious or life threatening side effects. People were dying of heart attacks and heart related diseases. I already have heart issues . Can you imagine what would have happened to me? I waited for my apology letter from that doctor....still waiting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment