Sunday, October 12, 2014

How The Foods We Eat Affect Our Mood, Energy And Quality Of Life

Originally Posted by Pam Turner on 03/13/12:
I find it very interesting how the foods we eat can have an effect on our physical and mental state. This past weekend was my husbands 60th B-day and we had a big celebration with all of his family here at the house. Andy has been following a low carb eating plan to try and reduce his triglycerides and he has been sticking to it 100% for the past month. He is a sugarholic so this has been a real test for him. I have avoided sugars and grains for some time now so for me it has not been much of a change when I cook for him.

Sunday was the big day and we decided we would relax the rules and just have whatever we wanted. BIG MISTAKE! lol! I won't go in to the menu out of respect for those here SSing but it was for the most part not low carb other then the meat and some of the salad dressings I make with xylitol rather then sugar so we could eat the leftovers. There was a ton of food and 2 Costco cakes. Everyone had a good time and enjoyed the food, including me and Andy.

Well...did we pay the price. He is still paying actually as he feels compelled to finish his B-Day cake that is left. I may have to throw it out to save him from himself! lol! That night and the following day I felt hung over, sluggish, bloated and gassy and just plain BLAH! I'm finally feeling more like my normal self, but looking in the mirror this morning was shocking. My eyes were so puffy I looked 10 years older and my skin was dull and pale. I probably still have some water weight retention, evidently mostly in my face, and my tummy is still a little rocky, but wow! Was that a rough couple of days!

When you eat clean and then dump in a bunch of junk you can really feel the difference in quality of life. I'm now used to having lots of energy and feeling clear headed. That was not always the case however. I spent most of my 30's in a food induced fog and feeling horrible was my norm. My weekend celebrating was a bad flashback of those days that I have no wish to ever go back to.

Eating whole fresh foods makes all the difference in energy and mood and overall health. I already knew that, but I got a refresher course on the subject! That energy and sense of vitality you get while SSing on Cambridge is a taste of what's to come if you make this a permanent change in lifestyle. Right now you are giving your body complete balanced nutrition and it is rewarding you! Once you have lost your weight the next challenge is putting together a good eating plan for maintenance. You can continue to use your Cambridge as I have these past 11 years as a base for your diet. Exercise is important. Then by adding just whole unprocessed foods cooked properly and avoiding grains and sugars you will find maintenance is not going to be an issue this time. It simply just happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment