Sunday, October 12, 2014

Recovery From Addiction, My Personal Experience

Originally Posted by Pam Turner on 05/21/13:
Over the years I have had board members generously share their stories, their fears, their addictions and their successes. I appreciate their bravery and their courage to open up and put it here on the board so that they can begin the road to recovery. Honesty is one of the most important aspects of this challenge. As I've said before on here, you can be the most honest person in the world in all of your dealings, but when it comes to addictions and behaviors, lying, hiding and secrets are usually part of it. Coming here and not being afraid to tell your story is the first step to being free.

Food addictions and eating disorders come in all shapes and sizes, but it boils down to self abuse and deception, even if that deception is to no one else but yourself. At times I felt like I was beating myself to death with food. The more I ate uncontrollably, the more I hated myself...and the more I ate. I hid food. I lied about food. I thought about it constantly and manipulated others to participate in my problem so I didn't have to feel guilty. My kids suffered from my choices. It can be a vicious cycle that seems completely hopeless when you are in its grip. I 100% believed that death by obesity was my destiny and nothing could convince me otherwise. I had watched my mother die from it. It was my identity. It was what all things in my life revolved around. I had fought this beast my entire life since the age of two.

Recovery is a process. It doesn't happen when the weight is gone. For years I was still an obese woman in a small body. The anxiety and fears of failure were there all the time. I knew I could gain it all back in a heartbeat. When I would go in to a store, bypassing the large size department and go in to the "regular" sizes, I felt like any minute someone would come to me and say, "There is nothing here for you. You don't belong here"...kind of like that scene from "Pretty Woman". It didn't help any that I felt like there was a constant spotlight on my head. Everywhere I went, people that knew me would freak out when they saw me. Others that had never given me the time of day would come to me like I was their long lost best friend and fawn all over me about my weight loss. Even weirder were the people who I'd known for years that didn't recognize me at all until I spoke to them. It's a strange place to be. I had a lot of emotions to sort through...a whole new life to build. I had not expected to live much past my 40's. I hadn't made any plans! Suddenly I was evidently going to have a future and I had no idea what to do with it. All this going on inside a person who only a few months previously had been the invisible fat woman in the room. Husbands flirted with me, wives glared at me, strangers talked to me, I had to learn how to be a whole person, present in my body and function in the world which for most of my adult life I had been on the outside peering in. People had expectation of me! I was very used to sliding by under the radar using my weight and my disabilities as my excuse to not function.

That picture seems bleak and I'm sorry for that, but it was my experience. Of course, there were just as many extraordinarily amazing things that happened. The first time my 9 year old son wrapped his arms around my waist and said "Look mom! I can grab my wrists!". Going out in to a world that I could now be a part of was like being out of prison. Not fearing abusive comments or stares or broken chairs or fitting in a booth or theater seat. Buying clothes because I liked them, not just because they fit... and then buying it in every color in case I couldn't find it again. Wearing colors, not just black or navy or brown. Feeling feminine again and no longer feeling like the "3rd sex". For years I had felt like there were men, women, and then there was me.

So back to the subject of recovery. I get asked all the time if there really is such as thing as recovery from obesity and all that goes with it. It's been 11 years since I lost my weight. it took about 3 years for me to get my brain caught up to my body. Things happened along the way. My beloved Aunt died not too long after I moved her in with me to care for her. It was devastating and I felt lost for about 6 months. Unknowingly I gained about 60 pounds. I woke up from my grieving and got things back under control, but it scared me to think I was still not free from this thing. All I wanted was to feel peace. I wanted my life to focus on seeking a peaceful and undramatic connection with food, to become almost indifferent to it. My life long cravings and behaviors that had enslaved me were still there, simmering under the surface.

Like any addiction, you have to work at your recovery. You have to know what you want first. You also have to believe in your ability to accomplish it. You have to replace old behaviors and thoughts with new ones. What do you want? What will you do to take yourself there? What is the ultimate goal? Short term, mid term, long term, don't be afraid to visualize all of them whether physical, emotional or spiritual. All the energy we have dedicated to negative and damaging thoughts and actions can now be devoted to positive changes that will free you and over time you will heal, you will recover. Never underestimate your ability to change. You have strength and power in your own life that you are probably not aware of. If you could open your head and scoop out all the negative messages there from others or yourself, what would that feel like? Poof! It's gone! What are you left with? That is your truth. Start from there and move forward. If you fall, pick yourself up and keep moving forward. Recovery is there. Freedom is there. Peace is there.



I can say with complete confidence that I am free from my past. I no longer crave food or hear it calling and taunting me. I can look at pretty much anything and feel complete ambivalence towards it. I don't feel deprived or sadness or anxiety when I am around foods that in the past would have driven me crazy. I have so much more in my life now that is real. The physical benefits of weight loss are obvious, but the emotional reward of overcoming addiction and all that goes with it is the most surprising and life changing.

1 comment:

  1. He explained that even though root crops were vital for both food security and income generation, especially, for poor rural farmers and women, and often grown on marginal lands, production was mainly for home consumption and the local market.
    kizi kizi 2 games
    free online games 2019
    friv kids 2019

    ReplyDelete