Sunday, October 12, 2014

Life's challenges

Originally posted by Pam Turner on 03/28/11:

I have had a personal loss recently that has challenged my ability to cope. In the distant past I would have found solace in food..namely chocolate, but that is just no longer in my makeup. Accepting feelings for what they are and not trying to self medicate is something I have had to learn how to do. The distraction of food was easy. It was there and for the moment it was being consumed I could divert my attention from heartache. Not the case anymore. I completely understand the motivation of an addict. Emotional pain that becomes physical is so overwhelming. The temptation to find relief by any means would be hard to resist. If there was a way to dull or take away the pain without causing harm I would be all over it right now, but unfortunately time is the only tool I have to rely on.

So I learn some more about myself as we all do in times of struggle. I learn that the only way to survive pain is to embrace it and wait for it to ebb. I've always told my kids that you can get over anything. I based this on personal experience of 2 very destructive marriages, many years of being alone and raising my family, financial stress, deaths of loved ones, and personal health crisis's. I guess I have to now prove that to myself one ore time

No comments:

Post a Comment