Saturday, February 27, 2016

A Hopeful Message

I want to give some hope to those who are striving to reach their weight loss goal. Most of us have a history of dieting and gaining, then dieting and gaining again, over and over. We end up having so little faith in our ability to really change.Deep down we believe that our weight loss will never be more then a temporary blip and we will go right back to our old ways and gain it all over again. As a lifelong out of control compulsive eater, I never believed I could ever be anything different. The process of transitioning out of that was long and slow, but for the past 8 years I have felt it was no longer a part of me. The memories and thoughts will always be there, but the physical ability is not and the self abusive behavior that fueled it is dead. I know that we have all been told that addicts will always have to see themselves as someone in danger of relapse if they let their guard down, but even though there are so many similarities among the various kids of addictions, I have learned that food addiction is possible to transition out of permanently with time and desire. Eventually your body chemistry changes and you just lose the sensation of reward that food is now giving you. It's just isn't there. This is how I have experienced it anyway. As I said, it was a slow process and not without some backsliding and do-overs, but I now find myself free of any food related compulsions. It's been long enough now that I no longer fear it is in me to ever go back.
So I guess this is my wish for each of you here.. be hopeful that the work you are doing now is bringing you to a place of healing and recovery that CAN be permanent.

No comments:

Post a Comment